Note: While you are considering in-person study abroad experience, we encourage you to explore virtual international opportunities due to travel restrictions caused by COVID-19. It is difficult to predict when in-person experiences will be available and we don’t want you to miss out on a valuable international experience that will prepare you for the globalized virtual world that awaits you upon graduation.
Earn academic credit and use your financial aid.
Click here for more details or call 414-229-4846 to discuss further.
Study Abroad Summer in Thailand with TEAN
- Spend your summer in Chiang Mai, a city that blends a modernizing country with traditional Thai culture, and gain an understanding of Thailand’s past, present and future
- Study on a spacious campus, surrounded by local students, and feel the course content come to life with field trips planned throughout the program
- Select from two housing options – a modern student dorm complex or for more independent living, a new condo complex, both a five-minute walk from campus and each other
- Learn more about the fascinating histories, belief systems, cultures and issues impacting Southeast Asia through a variety of available courses
- Benefit from access to TEAN’s Chiang Mai Resident Coordinator and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the summer
- Explore Thailand's stunning beaches and islands with an optional three-day excursion
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Chiang Mai is great for those who want:
- to go somewhere more off the beaten path with a culture that blends ancient traditions and modern living
- a small town feel but always something to do – hike up to a forest temple, study in cool cafes, attend a meditation retreat, catch live jam sessions and eat incredible Thai food
- to study abroad on a budget – you can easily spend less money in Chiang Mai than during a regular semester at home
- travel options! Explore Thailand and surrounding countries with affordable flights and accommodation
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) – established in 1995 – are study abroad and intern specialists in the Asia Pacific region with semester and summer programs available in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, China and Japan.
Visit the TEAN Website to learn more or Apply Now with TEAN
Because this is a UWM-approved program and students earn UWM credit, interested students must submit their application through the UWM CIE study abroad office. To avoid duplication, this program provider’s application requirements are incorporated into the CIE study abroad office’s application. Please meet with a study abroad coordinator early in the process to learn more.
Please see the top of the program page for cost information. Click on the term you are interested in and you will be directed to a budget sheet that contains program fees and other important financial information.
The program fee is set by CISabroad. CISabroad will invoice UWM for the program fees and these fees will be posted to students' PAWS accounts in addition to CIE administrative fees and mandatory health insurance fees. Students should consult the CISabroad website for latest program cost projections and inclusions and exclusions.
Scholarships and Grants:
Financial aid, scholarships and grants may be used for our programs. Attend a Financing Study Abroad 101 Session
Based on eligibility, students may apply for any scholarship either through our office or elsewhere. For a general list of study abroad scholarships and grants, visit our webpage
Are you a Pell Grant recipient? Check out the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
We encourage students to search widely for other scholarships that can be applied to their study abroad program.