Study Abroad Semester in Thailand with TEAN
- Take courses through the Institute of Southeast Asia Affairs, based at the top university in Chiang Mai, where you'll be surrounded by local students and benefit from mixing with the country's academic elite and future leaders
- Live in Chiang Mai, a city that blends a modernizing country with traditional Thai culture, and gain an understanding of Thailand's past, present and future
- Feel the course content come to life with field trips planned throughout the program, including a multi-day excursion to the Golden Triangle
- Participate in TEAN's comprehensive Orientation Excursion Program upon arrival, including a day with Southeast Asia's majestic elephants, cultural activities and informative sessions designed to help you feel adjusted and ready to jump into your semester in Southeast Asia
- Experience how the majority of Thai people live with a five-day homestay experience in a rural village
- Appreciate access to TEAN's Chiang Mai Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the semester
- Select from two housing options – a modern student dorm complex or for more independent living, a new condo complex, both a five-minute walk from campus and each other
- Spend an optional weekend in the tropical south soaking up the sun, boating and experiencing the exotic Thai islands everyone raves about
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Chiang Mai is great for those who want:
- to go somewhere more off the beaten path with a culture that blends ancient traditions and modern living
- a small town feel but always something to do – hike up to a forest temple, study in cool cafes, attend a meditation retreat, catch live jam sessions and eat incredible Thai food
- to study abroad on a budget – you can easily spend less money in Chiang Mai than during a regular semester at home
- travel options! Explore Thailand and surrounding countries with affordable flights and accommodation
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) – established in 1995 – are study abroad and intern specialists in the Asia Pacific region with semester and summer programs available in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, China and Japan.
Visit the TEAN Website to learn more or Apply Now with TEAN
To be considered for this program, students must submit an application for both UWM and TEAN by their respective deadlines. To start a UWM application, click on "Apply Now" button on the top of this page. Visit the TEAN website to apply.
Please see the top of the program page for cost information. Click on the term you are interested in and you will be directed to a budget sheet that contains program fees and other important financial information.
The program fee is set by TEAN. TEAN will invoice UWM for the program fee and this fee will be posted to students' PAWS accounts in addition to CIE administrative fees and mandatory health insurance fees. Please visit the UWM study abroad "Fees & Policies" page for details about program fees. Students should consult the TEAN website for latest program cost projections and inclusions and exclusions.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANTS:
Financial aid, scholarships and grants may be used for our programs. Attend a Financing Study Abroad 101 Session to learn about study abroad costs and budgets and how financial aid can be used for study abroad, as well as general information on how to search for scholarships and other funding resources.
Based on eligibility, students may apply for any scholarship either through our office or elsewhere. For a general list of study abroad scholarships and grants, visit our webpage. We encourage students to search widely for other scholarships that can be applied to their study abroad program.
Are you a Pell Grant recipient? Check out the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship.
Southeast Asia Program Comparison:
||AY, Fall, Spring, Summer
||Fall, Spring, Summer
||AY, Fall, Spring, Summer
||Res. Hall, Apartment
||Overnight field trips to hill-tribe villages, volunteer opportunities, low cost of living
||Receive Asian Studies certificate, centrally-located, business-focused, optional excursions
||#1 university in Thailand, excursions with elephants and in the jungles, proximity to beaches
|Areas of Study
||Anthropology, Art, Business, Film, Peace Studies, Public Health, Urban Studies...
||Accounting, Asian Studies, Business, Economics, Law, Political Science...
||Art History, Business, Communication, EAS, Psychology, Tourism...